A Complete Guide Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train
Table of Contents Hide
- Journey Through Time and Tranquility: The Enchanting Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train
The Nilgiri Mountain Railway passes through Ooty, a picturesque hill station in Tamil Nadu. The fascinating fleet of steam locomotives running on this track is affectionately known as the ‘Toy Train’, and is extremely popular, especially with children.”
Journey Through Time and Tranquility: The Enchanting Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train
Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train has to cover a total distance of 46 km in 5 hours time. This toy train passes through hills, green meadows, and wooded slopes. The train stops from time to time at quaint little best toy train hill stations. In this ride, you will pass through Mettupalayam, Coonoor, Kellar, Wellington, Lovedale, and Ootacamund. And will reach a maximum height of 4,363 feet.
During the entire journey, one can enjoy many dark tunnels and sharp turns with mountains, and dense forests from one’s window seat. And there is also the fact that the Nilgiri Mountain Railway is part of India’s heritage. The tracks were laid by the British Indian Administration in the year 1908.
History of Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train
A mountain railway was supposed to be built from Mettupalayam to the Nilgiri Hills as early as 1854, but it took until 1907 for the full line to be built. The Madras Railway Company was initially charged with running the line.
This railway was the first in India to use the just recently developed “rack and pinion” system, and it continues to perform well. Built by the famous Avonside Engine Company, Double Fairlie locomotives were first used on the route in 1907 and stayed in service until 1914. Initially, Coonoor was the line’s end; but, by September 1908, it had been extended to Fernhill, and by October of that same year, Ooty or Udagamandalam had also been added.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Features
- In the Nilgiri Hills of Tamil Nadu, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway connects Mettupalayam and Coonoor with Udagamandalam (Ooty). It is the only rack railway in India that has a meter gauge. It has a middle rail with a rack that contacts a pinion on the locomotive and is also referred to as a cog railway. The train can climb severe inclines because to this propulsion. Increasing from 1,069 feet to 7,228 feet above sea level, it is reportedly the steepest route in Asia.
- The X Class steam locomotives make up the majority of the railroad’s fleet. Its new oil-fired steam engines have just replaced its antique coal-fired steam locomotives. This was required because of persistent technical issues, difficulties obtaining high-quality coal, and the potential for starting forest fires. The decommissioned steam engines will be on display at the Nilgiri Mountain Rail Museum in Mettupalayam as well as the railway stations in Coimbatore and Ooty.
- Officials want to preserve the railway’s historical significance, though, and they plan to restore one of the coal-fired steam engines, according to an article in the media. Sadly, a test run in February 2018 was failed due to insufficient steam pressure.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway Route Features
The length of the Nilgiri Mountain Railway is 46 km (28.5 mi). It passes across hundreds of bridges, roughly 30 of which are significant ones, and numerous tunnels.
The surrounding rocky geography, ravines, tea plantations, and heavily wooded slopes make the railway exceptionally scenic. With its famous teas, Coonoor is a popular tourist destination in and of itself. The area between Mettupalayam and Coonoor has some of the most beautiful scenery and views. Therefore, some people prefer to go exclusively along that section.
Essential Information Nilgiri Mountain Railway
Location: The trek starts in Mettupalayam and ends in Ooty (Udagamandalam), via the stunning Nilgiri Hills extension of the Western Ghats. Coonoor, Kellar, Wellington, Lovedale, and Ootacamund are just a few locations that the 46 km long track travels through. Along the routes, steep slopes rise and dip, deep ravines are crossed, beautiful forested stretches occasionally appear in front of us, and tea plantation slopes with carefully terraced slopes can be seen anywhere. The tracks also travel via 250 bridges and 16 tunnels.
Timings: There are two trains that run on this line every day, and the times are as follows:
– 56136 – Mettupalayam-Ooty MG Passenger | Departure- 7:10 AM | Arrival- 12:00 PM
– 56137- Ooty-Mettupalayam MG Passenger | Departure- 14:00 PM | Arrival- 17:35 PM
There are classes for traveling on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway. The prices for First Class and Second Class travel are listed below:
- From Mettupalayam to Coonoor, first-class costs Rs. 1100 for adults and Rs. 650 for children. from Coonoor to Mettupalayam, the same fee applies.
- From Mettupalayam to Coonoor, second class costs Rs. 800 for adults and Rs. 500 for children. from Coonoor to Mettupalayam, the same fees apply
Number of Stations- The number of stations at present on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway is 4, namely– Kallar, Lovingdale, Wellington, and Coonoor.
Best Time to Visit Nilgiri Mountain Railway Toy Train
In southern India, particularly in the state of Tamil Nadu, the Nilgiri Mountain Railway, frequently referred to as the “toy train,” is a popular spot for tourists. The following times are ideal for visiting the Nilgiri Mountain Railway and taking a trip on the toy train.
- (September to November): The post-monsoon season, which lasts from September to November, is usually considered the ideal time to travel. After the monsoon rains, the landscapes are lush and green and the weather is comfortable. The mist and fog which frequently envelop the mountains can also produce a beautiful and magical ambiance.
- (March to May): Although it can be a little bit warmer than the post-monsoon season, spring is another great time to travel. The Nilgiri Hills are beautiful at this time of year, with clear skies and vibrant, flowering flora.
- (April to June): Due to school breaks, the summer season sees a large influx of visitors. Even while it can get a little busy at this time, the weather is still warm at higher elevations, making it a good time to take a ride on a toy train. However, reserve your tickets in advance and be ready for some crowds.
How to Reach Nilgiri Mountain Railway
Between the Ooty city center and Udhagamandalam Railway Station—a terminus station located inside the city limits—is a short distance.
Auto rickshaws are readily available in Ooty for short-distance travel. For transport to Udhagamandalam Railway Station, you can book one from any area of Ooty’s central business area.
The Commercial Rd. gets you to the railway station in about 9 minutes from Charing Cross Busstand.
By Bus: Buses are also accessible from Charing Cross stand in the direction of Udhagamandalam station.
By Cabs: To travel to the rail station, call a taxi from one of the city’s tourist information centers or utilize an online service.