1. The kedarnath temple is one of the
12 jyotirlinga temple
of load Shiva is regarded as one of the holiest sites in Hindus.
2. As according research done by the Wadia Institute of
Himalayan Geology, Dehradun
, kedarnath dham was fully covered in snow for about
3. The Pandavas, the heroes of the
Hindu epic Mahabharata
, are said to have completed the kedarnath temple around the eighth century AD.
is built of large, evenly cut grey stone slabs and is constructed in the traditional manner of north
5. On the site where Lord Shiva is said to have meditated following the
death of his wife,
Sati, the kedarnath temple is said to have been built.
6. One of the highest temples in the world, the kedarnath temple is situated at a height of
3,583 metres (11,755 ft)
above sea level.
7. The only way to get to the
Kedarnath temple is on foot,
and the trip there is considered as one of the most difficult in the entire world.
8. Due to high snowfall in April during the
the kedarnath temple is only open for six months each year, from April to November.
9. There is an natural spring nearby the
that is revered and believed to have
10. A number of lesser shrines and temples, including the kedarnath temples of
, surround the main temple at